Hitachi and Bombardier to Supply 23 Frecciarossa Trains to Trenitalia

Hitachi and Bombardier Transportation have signed a contract with Trenitalia for the supply of 23 very high-speed Frecciarossa 1000 trains for operation in Spain.

These trains are intended for the new Intermodalidad de Levante (ILSA) operation, a joint venture between Trenitalia and Operador Ferroviario de Levante SL. The contract is worth in the region of 800 million euros (943 million USD). Hitachi has a 60 percent share in this contract, Bombardier the remaining 40 percent.

Andrew Barr, Group CEO, Hitachi Rail, said:

“The ETR1000 train, widely known commercially as the Frecciarossa 1000, has transformed passenger transport on high-speed lines in Italy, setting the standard and becoming the fastest and most admired train in Europe. It is a platform that we are very proud of and is proof of our continuous and positive collaboration with Trenitalia to the benefit of passengers and society in terms of comfort, sustainability, style, performance and low noise. We look forward to bringing the same advantages to Spain, and to contribute to the development program of high-speed railway services in this country with these new services.”

 

The 23 Frecciarossa 1000 trains will be designed and built by Hitachi and Bombardier in Italy (Pistoia and Vado Ligure). Each train will have a length of roughly 200m, a capacity of approximately 460 and operating speeds of up to 360km/h. The design will maximise aero-dynamic characteristics and incorporate energy-saving technologies.

Franco Beretta, President and Managing Director, Bombardier Transportation Italy, said:

“The Frecciarossa 1000 very high-speed train has been chosen for the new ILSA franchise in Spain to enrich the travel experience for passengers, thanks to its high levels of comfort and reliability. With cutting-edge train control and propulsion technologies deriving from the V300ZEFIRO platform, these fast and quiet trains are already very popular with long-distance travellers in Italy. The liberalization of Europe’s railways enables ILSA to offer new rail services in Spain to encourage even more passengers to shift their journeys from cars and planes to trains, contributing towards global sustainability goals.”

 

The Frecciarossa 1000 was first introduced in Italy in 2015. It is the fastest and quietest very high-speed train in Europe. The trains are based on Bombardier’s V300 ZEFIRO platform.

ILSA is the first private operator to be given access to the Spanish rail market by national infrastructure manager ADIF. Services will commence in 2022 and serve the Madrid-Barcelona, Madrid-Valencia/Alicante and Madrid-Seville/Malaga lines.

Frecciarossa 1000 for ILSA

A Zefiro – Frecciarossa 1000 for ILSA, Spain

Also read:

Get your news featured on Railway-News

Please fill in the contact form opposite. A member of the team will be in touch shortly.






    We'd love to send you the latest news and information from the world of Railway-News. Please tick the box if you agree to receive them.

    For your peace of mind here is a link to our Privacy Policy.

    By submitting this form, you consent to allow Railway-News to store and process this information.

    Subscribe
    Follow Railway-News on LinkedIn
    Follow Railway-News on Twitter