CSR E-loco Supply Sign 2.6 Billion Rand Electric Locomotive Contract

Continuing with the massive investment in rail freight in South Africa, Transnet have signed a 2.6 billion Rand contract with CSR Zhuzhou Electric Locomotive, China, for 95 dual-voltage electric locomotives.

All but 10 locomotives will be built in South Africa with only the first 10 being built in China.

Transnet Freight Rail

The consortium known as CSR E-loco Supply, is made up of CSR, owning 70% and local partner Matsetse Basadi owning the remaining 30%. CSR E-loco Supply are scheduled to deliver the locomotives between December 2013 and September 2014 which will be used for general freight business by Transnet Freight Rail’s (TFR).

Electric Locomotive Manufacturers

CSR E-loco Supply won the contract following an open and public tender process, beating the world’s leading electric locomotive manufacturers to win. The official signing of the tender took place at Transnet Freight Rail’s depot in Pretoria, South Africa on 22nd October (2012).

As part of a massive, seven year, 300 billion Rand investment programme, Transnet are buying a total of 599 electric locomotives along with 465 diesels locomotives.

View supplier

All the Latest News

Contact SBB Powers 1.4 Million Passenger Kilometres with Solar Energy

Use the form opposite to get in touch with SBB Powers 1.4 Million Passenger Kilometres with Solar Energy directly to discuss any requirements you might have.

We'd love to send you the latest news and information from the world of Railway-News. Please tick the box if you agree to receive them.

For your peace of mind here is a link to our Privacy Policy.

By submitting this form, you consent to allow Railway-News to store and process this information.

Follow Railway-News on LinkedIn
Follow Railway-News on Twitter