Rail News

Škoda Becomes Sole Shareholder of Finnish Rolling Stock Manufacturer Transtech

Škoda Transportation Group has purchased 100% of shares in Transtech, the only manufacturer of rolling stock in Finland. Škoda has owned 75% of the shares since August 2015. The Czech company also signed an agreement to buy the remaining 25% of shares from Sinituote Oy on 21 May 2018.

Transtech, which was founded in 1985, specialises in the production of double-decker railway vehicles and low-floor trams. It currently supplies trams to Helsinki and carriages to Finnish Railways.

Transtech
© Škoda

Petr Brzezina, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Škoda, said that the objective of his company is to:

“consolidate its position in the markets of Western Europe. This is also the intention of the new owner, the international investment group PPF, under whose leadership we have succeeded in finalizing the acquisition of the Finnish company Transtech.”

Zdeněk Majer, Vice President of Škoda and Chairman of Transtech, said:

“In less than 3 years, we have managed to successfully restructure and stabilize Transtech. During this period, we have also increased the number of employees from 500 to 750. The company’s annual sales reached 3 billion crowns. Transtech became a significant player in the Škoda Transportation group and opened for us further opportunities in the Western markets.”

The agreement was signed during a visit by Andrej Babiš, the Prime Minister of the Czech Republic, to Finland. The business delegation which accompanied Babiš included representatives from Škoda.

News categories

    11 Feb 2019
    12 Must-Read Rail News Stories – Industry Insider for Week 6
    08 Feb 2019
    Skoda Delivers Last of 250 ForCity Alfa Praha Trams to Prague
    06 Feb 2019
    Finland to Establish Limited Company to Participate in Rail Baltica Project
    04 Feb 2019
    11 Must-Read Rail News Stories – Industry Insider for Week 5
    01 Feb 2019
    Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency Goes Digital
    31 Jan 2019
    Covestro and EconCore Join Forces in Composites Development
    21 Dec 2018
    Bombardier to Supply and Maintain 18 TW500 FLEXITY Trams for Vienna
    12 Nov 2018
    Anti-Graffiti Film: A New Layer of Defence from Vandalism
    Subscribe to Railway-News
    Get the latest contract alerts and Railway News emailed directly to your inbox.

    We respect your privacy and take protecting it seriously.

    Please tick to confirm you would like to receive emails we think may be of interest to you. We sometimes tailor the content you see to what we think you'll find interesting, and so monitor your interaction with our website and email content (find out more).