Sol Solution – Geotechnical Consulting Experts for Rail
Sol solution is an international geotechnical engineering consultancy. In addition to its many areas of expertise, its reputation has been built on the development of the Panda® and a whole range of equipment. Sol Solution designs and markets innovative solutions in the field of compaction control, earthworks, soil investigation, reinforcement, and low-trauma high-performance diagnostics.
Sol Solution serves the railway industry with innovative geophysical/geotechnical investigations all around the globe.
Today, the company has more than 90 employees, an integrated R&D department and an analysis laboratory and completes its range of equipment with data management and processing tools incorporating functionalities unequalled in the geotechnical market.
The goal of this methodology is to provide to the asset manager key point indicator helping with the optimization of the maintenance and renewal strategy.
This technique must provide:
- Detailed characterization for each sounding : mechanical cone resistance of each layer (sound ballast, fouled ballast, interlayer, platform) and nature and condition
- The results will be summarized in a table will the following entries :
- Line, location of the sounding (longitudinal and lateral)
- Sounding depth (from Top Of the Rail)
- Thickness and mean resistance of the sound ballast layer
- Thickness and mean resistance of the fouled ballast layer
- Thickness and mean resistance of the intermediate ballast layer
First, we would have a continuous monitoring of the railway track bed layers thanks to GPR acquisition that could be run at more than 80km/h. The data processing would provide the location of homogeneous and poor conditions sections (humidity, fouling, mud…). These locations would be crossed with geometry and maintenance information to build up a sounding campaign.
The proposed geotechnical characterization will be done using Pandoscope®, a combination of very light and little intrusive devices than can be used on plain track as well as in switch and crossing areas , overpasses, underpasses, tunnels…
The dynamic penetration test PANDA® would provide with soil resistance characteristics, whereas geoendoscopy® would precise the nature and state of the tested soils (thickness of the layers, type of soil, hydric state, gradation…).