Rail News

US: Federal Railroad Administration Reveals Recipients of PTC Funding

Federal Railroad Administration-PTC Grants
Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART), Texas, US, © Jeffrey Beall (licence)

The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) has awarded grant funding to 28 projects in 15 states in the USA to assist with the installation of positive train control (PTC) systems.

The total value of the grants awarded by the agency is $203,698,298. The funds were allocated from $250 million transferred to the FRA under the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2018 for the implementation of PTC systems, via the Consolidated Rail Infrastructure and Safety Improvements (CRISI) programme.

The Notice Of Funding Opportunities (NOFO) was announced in May 2018 and applications for funding were due on 2 July 2018. The deadline for the installation of PTC systems on Class 1, intercity and commuter railways across the United States is 31 December 2018 unless an operator meets the criteria for an extension until 31 December 2020.

Related Post:  Network Rail Announces CP6 Rail Haulage and Seasonal Services Contracts

The FRA will issue an additional NOFO in the near future to distribute the remaining $46,301,702 reserved for this initiative.

Ronald L. Batory, Administrator of the Federal Railroad Administration, said:

“It was our goal to award today’s grants as quickly as possible to help the recipients implement PTC. We also encourage eligible applicants to apply for the remaining balance of the PTC CRISI grants after that NOFO is published.”

Elaine L. Chao, Secretary of Transportation in the US Government, said:

“These $200 million in grants will help the railroads continue to implement positive train control, a technology that could help reduce accidents and save lives.”

The aspects of PTC supported by the grant funding include the installation of back office PTC systems, wayside, communications, and on-board PTC system equipment, PTC systems testing, interoperability and employee training.

Related Post:  What does the CCC Net Zero Report Say about Transport?

Positive Train Control Funding Under CRISI

The PTC grants were funded by the CRISI programme. The maximum federal funding available from the programme for any single project is 80% of the total cost. The remaining 20% can be obtained from public and/or private sources. It reserves at least 25% of its funds for rural projects.

News categories

    16 Oct 2018
    USA: Operation Lifesaver Appoints New Director of Communications and Marketing
    21 Sep 2018
    USA: Ian Jefferies Appointed CEO of Association of American Railroads
    19 Sep 2018
    US: FRA Publishes Funding Opportunities for Positive Train Control
    13 Sep 2018
    Canadian National Orders 60 Further Locomotives from GE Transportation
    12 Sep 2018
    KISS Car-Shells Arrive at Stadler US Factory for Caltrain
    10 Sep 2018
    New York State: Expansion and Modernisation of Long Island Rail Road
    31 Aug 2018
    Union Pacific Making “Good Progress” on Positive Train Control
    28 Aug 2018
    Railway Engineering-Maintenance Suppliers Association Announces New President
    Subscribe
    Subscribe to Railway-News
    Get the latest contract alerts and Railway News emailed directly to your inbox.

    We respect your privacy and take protecting it seriously.

    Please tick to confirm you would like to receive emails we think may be of interest to you. We sometimes tailor the content you see to what we think you'll find interesting, and so monitor your interaction with our website and email content (find out more).